Useful film here: Jewish Voices for Peace: Israel/Palestine 101. It’s from a few years ago but still relevant for providing a basic understanding of the history.
July : Palestinian homes were demolished in the South East of Jerusalem on 22nd July by Israeli authorities, preceded by the forced removal of the families who lived there. This a flagrant violation of international law by the Israeli government. Urgent Actions in solidarity with those affected here and here and here
Statements about the demolitions:
- Governments of UK, France, Spain and Germany
- World Council of Churches
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- Amnesty International
- Background information from:
- War on Want
- Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions
- August 2019: Information database from Israeli organisation Yesh Din which ‘consolidates all the bills and laws presented to the Knesset by members of Knesset which feature a characteristic or element pertaining to annexation: Annexation Legislation Database
- July 7th 2019: The Palestinian Human Rights Organizations Council (PRHOC) issued a statement titled: “PHROC Condemns Israel’s Denial of Entry to UN Special Rapporteur, Mr. Michael Lynk: here
- From H.B. Michel Sabbah, President of Pax Christi International from 1999 till 2007 and Latin Patriarchate Emeritus of Jerusalem, on the present situation in Israel/Palestine: Article here
- StopTheWall.org are asking for people/groups to sign their commitment – see here
- Kairos Palestine – A Call for the German Bundestag to Reverse its May 17, 2019 Resolution: Statement here
- Latin Patriarchate Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries calls on people of Holy Land to build bridges of respect and love: Invitation here
- Keep up with UN reports here: United Nations Office…occupied Palestinian territories
Morally Responsible Investment – Resources
Think Twice: excellent report from Amnesty International, published in March 2019. Asks the question: Can companies do business in Israeli Settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories while respecting human rights.?
Investing for Peace: A guide for local church activists that calls on UK churches to implement Morally Responsible investment policies to ensure that companies that they procure from and invest in do not profit from or advance the occupation.
Produced by Sabeel-Kairos with War on Want, Pax Christi and AMOS Trust. Download here
Holy Land Coordination Group 2019
Series of articles published after the 2019 visit of the Holy Land Coordination group. This is made up of Bishops from across Europe, North America and South Africa, who have made an annual pastoral visit to Israel and Palestine for the past 20 years. Marie Dennis, Co-President of Pax Christi International was also part of this delegation.
Church statements on the Israeli National State Law
- Bishops of England and Wales oppose unjust Israeli law November 2018
- Statement from Bishop of the Evangelical and Lutheran Church 1 August 2018
- Statement from the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem 19 July 2018
15 July. Take action NOW in to prevent more demolition of Khan al Ahmar village
Download leaflet to share in your local church, J&P group, community. Use this, and information below, to keep informed and take action.
Statement from World Council of Churches, 13 July 2018 “Demolishing the homes and especially the school in Khan al-Ahmar is an inhumane decision violating the human rights of people already living in extremely difficult conditions because of decades of injustice,”
18 April 2018, Pax Christi signs letter in The Guardian: Time to take a stand on Gaza killings
MPs, MEPs, former ministers, trade unionists and other political and cultural figures call on the British government to ensure that UK arms, finance and trade are not used to support unlawful actions by Israel.
We call on the government to condemn publicly Israel’s actions; to support an immediate UN investigation into the killings; and to ensure UK arms, finance and trade are not used to support Israel’s unlawful actions. The British government must fulfil its responsibilities to hold Israel accountable and to bring about the end of Israel’s unlawful siege and the military occupation of Gaza, East Jerusalem and the West Bank. Full letter here
Holy Week and Easter 2018
- Kairos Palestine Easter Alert : reflections from Palestinians that help raise awareness of the deteriorating situation linked to Holy Week and Easter
- Up-dated Pax Christi leaflet on solidarity with peacemakers in Palestine & Israel (August 2019)
- Here you can find a full sheet of action ideas for personal or community use from Kairos Britain, of which Pax Christi is a member
- Here regular blogs from a partner in Bethlehem, Toine Van Teeffelen. Very useful insights into life in Bethlehem
- British Christians respond to Kairos. Article by Pat Gaffney published in Palestine News, January 2014
- Time for Action: British Response to Kairos Palestine. Read the full document here. Paper copy available from Pax Christi price £5.00 order here
- Kairos Palestine: document produced in 2009 by Christians in Palestine
- Summary leaflet on Kairos Palestine
POPE FRANCIS IN PALESTINE & ISRAEL
- Speech and prayer for meeting with Palestinian and Israeli leaders, Rome, 9 June 2014
- Speech to the Palestinian Authority 25th May 2014. Full details of all meetings/speeches