The 2018 World Week for Peace 16 – 23 September
Investing in young people
A week of education, prayer and action for peace in Palestine & Israel, initiated by the World Council of Churches. Planned events below
This year’s theme is “Youth and Children: Raising Hope and Making Change”. Youth and children are the ones who suffer the most in conflicts and under occupation. They are also the ones who will hold the future of Palestine and Israel in their hands, the ones we pray will grow up with peace and prosperity.
- Prayer and background resource from WCC, 2018
- Prayer for Palestine & Israel from the Mennonite Central Committee, 2018
- Prayer Where are you God? by Jan Sutch Pickard
- Images from Pax Christi partner the Arab Educational Institute for 2018 WWPPI
- Generation potential: interviews with five young Palestinians, project of PAX for Peace, Netherlands
- 12 Faces of Hope: Seek Justice and Peace in the Holy Land: a resource from the WCC stories and video clips include Rabbi Noa Mazor, peacemaker Tarek Al-Zoughbi and communication worker Nanor Arkelian
- Video testimonies from Breaking the Silence, an organisation of veteran combatants of the Israeli Defence Forces who have served the occupation.
- Find out about the work of Defence for Children International in Palestine – important work monitoring and advocating for children who are illegally detained. Stories, date and advocacy ideas.
- Invite your Church community to use the new Investing for Peace: guide for local church activists to initiate discussion on morally responsible investment.
- Take action to enhance Palestinian children’s right to education with this Ecumenical Accompaniment in Palestine and Israel resource
- Support the Palestinian economy – by goods oil, dates and many other wonderful products from Zaytoun... perfect for a church event/stall.
PLANNED EVENTS FOR 2018 : please let us now what you are planning and we can post here. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
17 September, Cambridge. Talk Life in Palestine dominated by barriers and checkpoints by Paul Clark, EAPPI volunteer. At 7.30, St Laurence Church, Milton Road, Cambridge.
19th September. Winchester. Screenings of the film From Balfour to Banksy: Divisions and Visions in Palestine Booking here
20 September. Hexham. Youth and children Raising hope and making change. Evening with Hamed Qawasmeh from the West Bank. St Mary’s Church Centre, Hencotes, Hexham, NE46 2EB @7.30
21 September, Stroud. Rodborough Tabernacle URC, Tabernacle Walk, Stroud Gl5 3UJ . Screenings of the film From Balfour to Banksy: Divisions and Visions in Palestine . Booking here
29 September, Newcastle. Youth and Children: Raising hope and making change. Speaker Phoebe Rison, Advocacy worker for Sabeel/Kairos. St Thomas’ Church, Haymarket, Newcastle @ 1.00pm. 2.30 worship
UK Working Group for the World Week for Peace in Palestine and Israel
Amos Trust / Baptist Union of Great Britain / Church of Scotland / Council of Lutheran Churches / Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Palestine & Israel / Embrace the Middle East / Friends of Sabeel UK / Kairos Britain / Methodist Church in Britain/ Pax Christi UK / Quakers in Britain /
United Reformed Church-Commitment for Life
Resources and events from WWPPI 2017
Stories of young people from Palestine and Israel
Powerpoint Voices of the young with testimonies from young people. Could be used within the liturgy or each slide could be printed and enlarged to create a small exhibition.
Additional stories – A4 presentations
- From Saif , Dar al Kalim School,Evangelical Lutheran School – Beit Sahour
- From Bashar, Dar al Kalim School, Evangelical Lutheran School – Beit Sahour
- From Wadie, Lutheran School, Ramallah
Videos of children and young people talking about their lives and experiences
- My name is Sahel, an NUT project, daily life of a child in Hebron, Palestine
- Just like us : film of young people from schools in Nazareth, Israel
- Speech given by Noam Shuster, young Israeli woman, from the Israel-Arab village of Neve Shalom/Wahat al Salam, Israel
- Wissam Salman from the Evangelical Lutheran School of Beit Sahour.
- Noa Gur Golan, young Israeli woman who became a Conscientious Objector in 2017
- Ameer Sarhan, Leen abn Ajamiyyen, Lutheran School, Ramallah
PLANNED EVENTS FOR 2017
16 September 2017, Newcastle, annual WWPPI event, ‘Promising the Earth’ which is hosted by the United Reformed Church Northern Synod, Burdon Terrace, Jesmond, Newcastle NE2 3AE. Please RSVP to email@example.com
16 September 2017 , Rodborough. Screening of Open Bethlehem at 7:30pm at Rodborough Tabernacle URC, Stroud. Tickets are still available.
16 September 2017, Lichfield. Book launch ‘CONSEQUENCES : THE TRIAL OF ARTHUR JAMES BALFOUR’ By Warren Bardsley. 7 pm at Lichfield Methodist Church, Tamworth Street
17 September 2017, Rodborough . You are invited to hear about the work of the Ecumenical Accompaniers Programme in Palestine and Israel at the Cafe Church 10:30am at Rodborough Tabernacle URC, Rodborough, Stroud.
17 September 2017, Youth Masses in three Cambridge parishes and village of Cambourne. As part of the service young people will be invited to write messages of hope in response to the ‘voices of the young, visions for the future’ initiative. These will be sent to Palestine
17 September 2017, Swansea, 8.30am Prayers at Morning Service in St Andrew’s Church, Penrice, Gower
17 September 2017 Swansea, 9.45am Prayers in Morning Service in St Illtyd’s Church, Oxwich, Gower
20 September, 2017, Birmingham, ecumenical service for WWPPI at 7.30, St Mary’s CoE Church, St Mary’s Row, Birmingham B13
20 September, 2017, Haywards Heath. All Saints , Lindfield 122-122A High Street, Haywards Heath RH16 2HS, is incorporating the WWPPI prayer in the monthly Central Prayer Meeting at 12noon and 8pm.
20 September 2017 Swansea, 10am Prayers at Morning Service in St Gabriel’s Church, Swansea
20 September 2017, Oxford. Candle-lit Vigil for Peace in Palestine and Israel. A service of prayers and silent reflection at 6.30pm followed by refreshments St Giles Church, Oxford OX2 6HT Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
21 September 2017, Hastings. Gathering at the Peace Pole on Galley Hill between 12.00 -1.00pm
21September 2017, Wolverhampton. The Justice and Peace group invite you to an evening of worship, discussion, prayer and action for Palestine and Israel at 7.30pm at St John’s Methodist Church, 558 Wolverhampton Road East, WV4 6AA.
21 September,2017 Reading. 7.30 – 9.00pm. Illustrated talk with historian Peter Shambrook on commemoration of Balfour Declaration. Caversham Heights Methodist Church, 74 Highmoor Road, Reading RG4 7BG
21 September, 2017 Edinburgh. 7.00pm, ecumenical service for WWPPI, Gilmerton New Church (The Hub), Edinburgh EH17 8QJ
22 September 2017, Swansea, 9.30am The Lamplighters, Bishopston, Gower. Celtic Communion Service, prayers for Palestine included.
22-29 September 2017, Kennington, London. Silent Voices photographic exhibition of photographs taken by children of Bil’in, a Palestinian village in the West Bank. St Anselm’s Church, Kennigton Lane, London SE11 5DU
23 September, 2017 Cheltenham. 10am – 4pm. A meeting on the Balfour Project, Highbury Congregational Church, Oxford Street, Cheltenham, GL52 6DU