The Catholic Nonviolence Initiative is a project of
Pax Christi International
February 2023. “From a shattered jug to a choice for peace” reflection from Pat Gaffney, CNI Exec member, on the Rome 2022 Gathering.
December 2022 – Rome. 75 people from 28 countries met at a PCI – Catholic Nonviolent Initiative gathering to explore how the work of nonviolence has been embedded in the life of the church. You can read more about the inspiring people and the discussions together with reports here.
A policymakers tool for effective nonviolence. PCI and CNI have drawn on the wide experience of members around the world to create this resource exploring the tools and approaches of advocacy as an effective nonviolent approaches to peacemaking. November 2021
Advancing Nonviolence and Just Peace: in the Church and in the World. October 2020. Download study – reading guide
- Buy the E-book here for 16 Euros
- Buy the book from Pax Christi office, £18.00 plus p&p
- Here is a section from the introduction setting out Catholic thought on nonviolence
- Review from Sylvia Thompson, an active Pax Christi member in Kerry, Ireland. Written for INNATE, Belfast (2021)
- Webinar discussion from PC USA with Pat Gaffney, Jean Baptiste Talla and Ken Butigan (2021)
Choosing Peace: the Catholic Church returns to Gospel Nonviolence. 2018
- View here a short video on Choosing Peace: book on the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative
- Study – reading guide produced by Pax Christi England and Wales
Nonviolence and the Synod
CNI with Pax Christi International organised global briefings across 26 countries on the Synod. Full Report
The questions discussed were
1. If the Church were to adopt nonviolence as a way of life, how would relationships in the Church change?
2. How can the Church best promote nonviolence and just peace?
3. Can you share an example of how the Church promotes or undermines nonviolence and just peace in your community? 2022
- Still rolling with the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative article Pat Gaffney, Peace News, December 2020
- Working in the Catholic Church to revitalise the tools of nonviolence. Article by Pat Gaffney, Peace News. October 2018
- Pope Francis carries on the nonviolence legacy of Martin Luther King Jnr by Luke Hanson sj, America, April 2018
- Promoting nonviolence: Vatican Radio Interview with Marie Dennis, Pax Christi Co-President and Judy Coode, CNI coordinator March 2018
- The Year of Nonviolence or Nonexistence – reflection from Fr John Dear, January 2018
- Rome conference on Nonviolence and JustPeace: Pax Christi reports on this gathering, September 2016
- Message to Rome conference from Pope Francis, 11 April 2016
- Interview with Vatican Radio, Marie Dennis, Co-President of Pax Christi, 12 April 2016
- Rediscovering nonviolence in the Vatican. Transformation website: 2 May 2016
- What happens when you replace Just War with Just Peace? Article by Maria Stephan, May 2016