Take a look at our plans for Hiroshima and Nagasaki Day on our events page!
Parish resources- Hiroshima/ Nagasaki 2021
Petition from the Ursuline Sisters calling on the UK Government to sign the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons
Resources from Peace Sunday to use throughout the year are available here.
Resources for young people on nuclear weapons are available here.
For information on events to commemorate Hiroshima and Nagasaki, please visit our events page.
Chair of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference Department for International Affairs, Bishop Declan Lang, has called for our prayers on the anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima: https://www.cbcew.org.uk/anniversary-of-the-nuclear-bombing-of-hiroshima/
Kazumi Matsui, mayor of Hiroshima, made his annual Peace Declaration at the Memorial Ceremony, and showed his support for the nuclear ban, which is important for the hibakusha, and the need for Japan to join it. The declaration is available here.
Ideas for Hiroshima and Nagasaki Commemorations 6 & 9 August 2020
- The Light and the Terror. A poem by Pax Christi member, Kate Holmstrom
- 2019: Briefing from ICAN on the Catholic Church and the Ban Treaty, includes recent quotes from Pope Francis
- Statement from Pax Christi’s National President Archbishop Malcolm McMahon on the Treaty for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons
- Message for our partners in Japan on the 75th anniversary of the bombings of Hiroshima & Nagasaki
- Poem by Pax Christi member, Kate Holstrom
- Quote and image of Pope Francis ‘The use of atomic energy for purposes of war is immoral’.
- A poster that could be printed off and put in the window
- Readings from survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- Excellent range of statements from Churches produced by CCND
- Chaplain who blessed the bombers repents
- For ideas: Prayer Service used at AWE Burghfield, June 2016
- Can you start a dialogue with your bank/pension provider about their financing of nuclear weapons?
- Can you use the ICAN Cities Appeal to talk to your Council about endorsing the Treaty for the prohibition of Nuclear weapons?
- Put up a poster, share prayers, poems, readings. Choose from the resources we have gathered together.