Pope Francis is a strong supporter of the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons. The Holy See was one of the first states to sign and ratify it. We have been waiting for 50 nations to ratify the Treaty because then it will pass into international law. The 50th nation, Honduras, has now ratified the Treaty. It will enter into force on 22nd January 2021!!
Our government has not engaged with the Treaty process and continues to spend huge sums of money on Trident nuclear submarines. The new international law will not be binding on the UK. However previous experience with landmines and biological weapons has shown that a UN ban treaty process can nevertheless delegitimise and then eliminate these weapons globally. We need to make sure this happens!
Celebrate the 50th ratification and raise awareness about what is changing and how to help.
- Join us for an *online liturgy* to celebrate the full ratification. The event will be led by members of Christian CND on Sunday 1st November at 6pm. Register here
- Arrange to get a message in your parish newsletter soon
- Offer an activity for children’s liturgy (online) gatherings – you can reach the children’s parents too with information about what is happening and how to help. Check the guidance notes at the end of the activity – it’s a tricky topic for children.
- Inform yourself about the issue. Check information on our website.
- Our Director, Theresa, writing in the Universe
- Read the new Pax Christi briefing.
- Put a poster in your window or on a noticeboard
- Arrange a safe gathering in a public place to share the news and engage passers-by in dialogue
- Contact or follow-up with your bank/pension provider to ask about their investment in nuclear weapons. Explain your concern that their policy needs to be in line with changes in international law.