Here we offer a range of reflections, stories and resources on nonviolence in action. We also outline what more we can offer in our In Direction of Nonviolence programme. They will help us move from a culture addicted to war and violence to a culture where our first choice is peace and nonviolence.
Pax Christi International and the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace co-hosted an historic gathering in Rome in April 2016. We see this as the start of an important process which will develop teachings,resources and skills that will allow us to respond to the crises of our time with the vision and strategies of nonviolence.
- Message to conference from Pope Francis, 11 April 2016
- Interview with Vatican Radio, Marie Dennis, Co-President of Pax Christi, 12 April 2016
ARTICLES ON NONVIOLENCE IN ACTION
- The nuns who stopped a pipeline. Great story from Kentucky, July 2016
- Peacemaking is a transformation of the imagination. National Catholic Reporter: 9 May 2016
- Rediscovering nonviolence in the Vatican Transformation website: 2 May 2016
- Why understanding the history of nonviolence is essential by Tristan Husby, February 2016
- Pope Francis and the nonviolent shift by Ken Butigan September 2015
- The future of Christian nonviolence by Tom Cornell. The Plough. Summer 2015
- Peace Stories from Pax Christi International partners around the globe
WEBSITES CELEBRATING NONVIOLENT ACTION
- 198 nonviolent strategies and approaches by Gene Sharp
- Unarmed Civilian Intervention case studies from Nonviolent Peace Force, March 2016
- International Centre on Nonviolent Conflict
RESOURCES AVAILABLE FROM PAX CHRISTI
An A5, 12 panel brochure telling 60 inspiring stories of nonviolence. Free, charge for postage only.. View here Nonviolence Works Brochure
Available as a 10 panel exhibition in either A3 or A2 format – laminated. Postage and packing £10.00 per booking.
Jesus and Nonviolence – a third way by Walter Wink. £6.00
Peace People who Changed the World. Case-studies of 10 people and their approach to nonviolent peacemaking. £14.99
From Violence to Wholeness: A ten part programme in the spirituality ad practice of active nonviolence. Offers outlines for meetings, background reflections, prayers and readings. Developed by the Pace e Bene Campaign Nonviolence USA, 170 pages. £11.00
Engage: Exploring Nonviolent Living: Extensive study programme for exploring nonviolence. Unlike the book above, this one is not written in religious language.Pace e Bene Campaign Nonviolence, USA. £13.00
The Way of Peace: Exploring Nonviolence for the 21st Century: Useful resource packed with stories, questions, and quotes. Pax Christi USA. £10.00
PowerPoint Presentation on the Nonviolence of Jesus based on Matt 5: 38-41 interpreted by Walter Wink. A simple 9 slide presentation illustrated by David Rumsey
WORKSHOPS AND TRAINING
Through our In Direction of Nonviolence programme Pax Christi can offer a variety of themed sessions which can stand alone or can be put together as a mini-course.